Tuesday, June 04, 2013

One month in Canada

Sorry guys this blog is way overdue.
It already has been a month since I arrived in Canada, can you believe it, time flies!
On my third weekend here I went to Whistler for some sweet ski training with the Whistler mountain ski club, check the ski blog (link on top of the page) for those stories.
The trip to Whistler took me over the beautiful and very scenic sea to the sky highway, highway 99 north. Check the video for a time laps of this drive.



During my first week here the weather was awesome, sunny and hot. After that the famous Vancouver rain rolled in. Since Sunday the sun is back and so are all the shorts and t-shirts on the street, yes seize the opportunity. I went for a picnic with friends at Jericho beach on Sunday, awesome day for a picnic, I’ll post some pic’s here but there are a lot more, see the tab pictures, I have categorized them by month.



I have also done a tour around the seawall of Stanley parc, on Saturday may 25. I did the 12.6 km in my wheelchair, since I for sure can’t walk that far. It was a nice workout for my triceps. For the pictures see the album of May.
When I went shopping that day I was recognized as Dutch, by the woman behind me in line, by my credit card, seriously…. Later I found out that the Holland America line cruise ship had just arrived, which also explains the boatload of seniors all around town XD.



Lab work has been great, it is very interesting to learn a completely different side of medicine. And I turn out to be a nerd after all ;). I like running the experiments and my first ones turned out good, maybe a bit of beginners luck, but my first western blot was technicaly perfect… too bad the results weren’t what we wanted, but hey that’s what experiments are about. Some pic’s of my first Western, I could explain how it works but then again, why would I that’s way too deep, there are a lot of steps.





For everybody who wants to know more about the research I'm currently a part of, Global news filmed a short item about the project, see the link. It is all very interesting and this video explains it very simple. A new article was just published in Cell. Hopefully if all goes well I will also get the chance to get my name on some articles.


That it for now, a very short overview. Next weekend Seattle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment