Sunday, June 23, 2013

This and that

I have been living in Vancouver for 7 weeks now and this city still amazes me, yes I’m in love, with Vancouver. When I was 13 years old, so 14 years ago I was watching this travel show about Vancouver and I decided that I would live there one day. Yep I have always worked hard for what I believed in and made it happen, I am a bit stubborn too.

Why do I think this place is so great, well for starters the outdoors, nature is always close and still we have the comfort of a big city. I love to go outside here, there is so much to explore and so much to do. Last Saturday I went on a hike through Pacific spirit regional parc. Who would ever thought I could do that, but my walking has been pretty good lately so yes also a bit of hiking. Canadians might consider my hike as a kiddy hike but still, I did it. There are more pictures in the album June.




Sunday I went to the beach in Kitsilano with Sherry, I’m slowly exploring all Vancouver beaches.


Yesterday I went on a bike ride from UBC down to Stanley parc and back up to Kits, because I was in kind of a hurry and there was a long climb ahead, I had to go to the dentist, I took the bus back from Kits, you can easily put your bike on the bus because they all have bike racks. The bike ride was great, just soaking in the view being outside and active.

 My route
View from NW marine drive

Just a way of life over here, every time when you go out, there is always somebody running or cycling. I love it, this way of life, people also seem a bit more relax and they are a lot friendlier then back at home, no wonder it feels like everybody is happier here. And that also has its influence on me, I’m way calmer and happier then I have been in a while, a lot has happened, but I found peace in letting go of things I just can’t change, how hard I try.
And today I went to the Greek festival with a group of wonderful friends, we had a good time and some nice Greek food.




And a furry friend ;)

 And yes I’m also working in the lab here is the proof.



Lab work is interesting and exhausting,  sometimes things just don’t work out the way you think they will. About a week ago I worked on an experiment for 9 hours and I got no results, I had to repeat the whole experiment, it sucks but it is all part of the game. So if you ever wonder why cancer research takes so long and is so expensive this is one of the many reasons. Even when we know something is going to work out we still have to repeat all those experiments a lot, multiple things can make them not work. But when you do, and you get some results it is all really rewarding. So one day, hopefully we have new ways to treat cancer, that’s what we in the lab are all working really hard on. And I feel really lucky to be a very small part of it for 6 months, yes you have read that good, my stay in Vancouver will be extended to six months, 4 months is just not enough time to get results. And off course I don’t mind staying longer in this beautiful place J. Follow your heart and be happy, carpe diem.




No comments:

Post a Comment